Thursday 7 March 2013

Post #133 - February 21, 2013 - Chiang Mai, Thailand

What we did: Muay Thai training, Lewis’s fight at stadium
Budget: 1800B/$60; Spent: 3066B/$102

We ate a late breakfast at our guesthouse this morning, which was pretty expensive, but pretty tasty. Afterward we went to buy morebandaids for our aching, blitery feet. They are looking pretty disgusting at this point, but more importantly, it's becoming increasingly harder to stand. The thought of putting my already broken skin through more training makes me want to cry a little.

Before we left, I had some fried rice with chicken from our guesthouse, which is a great, cheap snack before Muay Thai. When we arrived at the gym we started with the usual skipping and stretching, then moved onto some shadow boxing. We are both becoming more critical of our techniques. Patty didn't think she was punching correctly and Long helped her to improve. They apparently like to make fun of how she punches like a girl, though it looks pretty good to me. I wonder how they think I punch?

I haven't felt like my technique is improving that much. It just seems to me like I'm noticing more and more flaws in everything I'm doing. I suppose that's natural, though. At first we had no idea what we were doing, but slowly we're understanding what the coaches are asking of us. I almost always notice something about my technique is messed up. Having these things come naturally must take a very long time. It's a shame we'll only have a week with these coaches!

Patty ended up working with Long most of the session. Inside the ring was quite busy, with most of the more experienced fighters present and training. Patty mentioned that Long has been incredibly patient with her. She  asked him how long it would take for someone like me to get ready and prepared for a match, and he said it would probably take a whole year of intense training. He said she had good technique but that to be a good fighter you also have to be smart.

I, meanwhile, was working with Perg, AKA Mr. Grumpy-Pants. Of course, I'm only kidding. I actually love the guy. Like we've mentioned already, he works with what he's got, so I never feel judged too harshly, although I do feel like he's developing some expectations of me, good or bad. Definitely, as this week has progressed, I've been feeling like I've been building a bond with him. We've gotten into some good rhythms, and he's got me to do some really challenging combinations. Before when he was mostly just grumpy when I made a mistake, he'll now smile and just make me do it again. I think he's starting to understand the kind of student I am. I'm very serious when I'm training, for better or worse, and I think it's taken the trainers some time to understand that this is just how I am when I'm learning. It's awesome that Muay Thai is allowing me to connect with someone who can't speak more than a couple words of English!

Hardest thing Patty's done in Muay Thai is blocking kicks. Long did an exercise with her where he would throw any of the 4 kicks at me (side or front, left or right) and I would have to properly block it. She mentioned it was quite challenging for her, and I can agree completely. Learning a technique and putting it into practice, even at a 10% speed, are two completely different things!

Unfortunately, we could both feel our bodies slowing down today. We had no jump to our step today, and it almost felt like today was more of a rest day than a training day. Maybe that's a good thing?

Today at the gym we met a nice Canadian guy named Brian who is of Korean decent. He will be training for a whole month at Chay Yai Muay Thai and today was his first day. We invited him to join us, Landon, and Jon for drinks before Lewis’ fight. We also met an Italian guy named Nigel, it was his first day too.

We did some knees to the bag at the end, which was exhausting, and then we finished with ab work and a stretch.

We went back home and bought our Gatorade and water and bought another 2 fruit shakes before heading upstairs to shower and get ready for Lewis’ big fight that night. Jon came to pick us up and walk with us to the restaurant, but we were in the middle of eating so chatted while we finished. We met up with Landon and Brian at Landon's favourite restaurant for a couple drinks before heading to the stadium.

It's hilarious to think of the contrast between today and when we first met Jon. He is quite the character and a very interesting, intelligent person. Definitely one of our favourites from our whole trip.

We stayed at the restaurant for about an hour before heading over to the stadium. Jon and Landon are two peas in a pod. They get a long really well. It’s quite cute. Jon is constantly making fun of Landon.

When we arrived at stadium and got in for 300B each, instead of the usual 400B, with Landon’s help. It was neat to see some of the trainers and fighters from our gym preparing Lewis for his fight. Lewis looked a bit nervous, but a controlled kind of nervous. It was his first Muay Thai fight, although he did MMA back in England. Apparently there is a video of his last fight on YouTube. It did not go so well. Though the video itself was a spectacular success, with something like a million hits. He’s practically famous!

There are a total of seven matches each fight night. So, we impatiently watched those while we waited for Lewis' fight, which was the last. They typically have the foreigners fight last.

Landon did the ridiculous blind boxing again, which takes place halfway through the program. Unfortunately, this time, he got completely knocked out by a hit to the back of the head near the end of the fight. It was obvious to me that he went unconscious for a couple seconds, and it angered me that they didn't stop the fight. Thankfully, once he stood up again, it was only a couple seconds before the stupid thing was over. I hope he doesn't do that again.

When we talked to him after the fight, he didn't seem too out of it or anything, but then after a while he admitted he couldn't remember anything about the fight.

Finally, it was Lewis' turn to step into the ring. Lewis did the traditional dance before the fight. I'm not sure they get taught how to do this or what, but he knew what to do. The fight lasted into the second round, and it was pretty evenly matched, despite Lewis' large height/range advantage, but the other guy went down and didn't get back up after a flurry of knees from Lewis. I think Lewis was pretty disappointed in his performance, but he's seriously my hero for just stepping into that ring in the first place.

After the match we took some pictures and then played pool with Landon while we waited for Lewis to shower and change.


We then went out for drinks with Landon, Brian, Lewis, Jon, and another English fellow. We ended up at a German bar, whose owner was very German. He gave us some sausage he had made and was just generally very loud and welcoming. He even gave us a round of cinnamon tequila, which none of us knew existed. I have to say it was a major improvement over normal tequila. We both quite liked it.

From left to right: Tim (?), Jon, worker (?), Lewis, Patty, me, Brian, Landon:



We were the first ones to leave at around 1am. We were exhausted and needed our beds. It was a really fun night though. What a great experience Chiang Mai has been so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment